Monday, April 8, 2019

The Heroic Journey

Despite my love for fantasy, I've never found The Lord of the Rings series attractive, and I couldn't ever explain why.  It was only after watching the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring that I realized it had to be the lack of women.  I hadn't ever noticed that the stories featured an all-male cast, but it didn't have a character that drew my attention; Legolas wasn't quite enough.  Investing myself in reading The Hobbit was a little difficult for me, but I did enjoy the style of writing- a mimic of oral storytelling rather than feeling 'written.'

The formulaic and predictable nature of classic fantasy is definitely present in The Hobbit, and probably every fantasy story I've ever read, watched, or played before. You even expect it in a Dungeons & Dragons campaign: how do you get this mix of adventurers to cross the threshold and leave this tavern together?

No comments:

Post a Comment