Sunday, February 24, 2019

The New Weird

I read Borne for this week's assignment, and while I was apprehensive at first, I ended up really enjoying it.  There was an extra level of creativity brought in when it came to the resources that these survivors had with the biotech, in ways I don't think I've seen before, though it did feel reminiscent of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.  When technology comes in as a key element of the world, the possibilities are only as endless as the writer's imagination. There's been more tech used in horror as we become more reliant on it, and as it becomes more accessible and more advanced, but it's being used differently than it was thirty or forty years ago.  We're not as afraid of technology because it's so ingrained in our daily lives. Rogue killer robots aren't scary anymore.

I think monsters that are organic, human, or supernatural is the direction we're going for right now in the horror genre, which makes way for technology to be used to assist the protagonists now.  A Quiet Place used a hearing aid as the last minute savior. The Good Neighbor, while more thriller than horror, followed a two teens who set up secret cameras to spy on their neighbor in an experiment gone wrong.  Technology might not be essential to every movie, it's definitely not going anywhere and will continue to present new and, hopefully, creative uses in this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment